So, given how 2016 went, what are my plans for 2017?
I'm going to stick to the same basic plans, but scaled back a touch so I have some chance of hitting them.
- 26 blog posts this year
- Measurable blog traffic
- Create some tools for people
- Talk about tools
- Be present in year 2 of the baby's life
- Figure out how to manage a toddler
- Lose 20 lbs (I lost 40 last year, so this is just a touch up to get where I want + a little padding for the occasional dessert)
- Pare down household to a manageable level of stuff
- Tweak savings plan to account for global instability
- Pick one worthy political cause to be active in
- Keep up sociability
- Get a grip on messaging and Service Oriented Architectures
- Beef up supervisory and leadership skills
- Succesfully project manage rollout of new Sealandings client
Having written all this out, I notice I have a lot more personal goals than blog goals. I think that's ok - I don't intend to live this blog. I suspect blogs are more interesting when they are written by someone who is living. I also notice most of my professional goals are along the project management and architectural lines. I think that's most likely normal at this stage in my career. My techincal skills are sufficient to the tasks I do, so it seems natural to want to focus on the meta-technical and support skills.